I often talk about the importance of getting the nasty toxins out of your life and making safer choices, but I haven’t really explained WHY that’s so important.
As you probably know, my husband and I dealt with infertility for about 5 years. (Technically we still have the diagnosis of “unexplained infertility,” but that’s irrelevant. We have our babies and we’re happier than ever.) In the beginning of our journey, I was doing so much research and trying everything (even putting chicken liver in my smoothies, because it’s so nutrient dense and an amazing fertility food – but – have you tasted liver?!) One of the things I learned about in my research was how the toxic burden on our bodies really can affect our fertility. Like a lot. Our environment has SUCH an impact on us! I first started changing my eating habits and getting rid of toxins and chemicals there, but I soon learned that just wasn’t enough.
I put lotion on my body EVERY MORNING. All over. Do you know what was in my lotions? And my deodorant, body wash, body spray, moisturizer, make up, shampoo and conditioner, and any other products I’m missing? Let me tell you just a few of the ingredients.
TOXINS IN OUR PRODUCTS
- FRAGRANCE – Wait, what’s wrong with that? A lot. Everything. These formulas are protected under federal law’s classification of trade secrets, meaning companies are allowed to use the word “fragrance” or “parfum” and not disclose ANYTHING that falls under into that category. This includes any combination of dozens of chemical ingredients, many of which are known hormone disruptors (ahem, hi infertility!) and allergens.
- PARABENS – This is a preservative. While preservatives can be necessary in order to make your products last and NOT grow bacteria, there are much safer options. Parabens are endocrine disruptors (AKA they mess with your hormones).
- BHA and BHT – These are synthetic antioxidants used to extend shelf life, but they are likely carcinogens (cancer-causing), hormone disruptors, and can lead to liver damage.
Okay, NONE of that is positive and it’s just 3 ingredients; there are SO MANY OTHERS!
Many products also contain heavy metals, even the ones that claim to be “natural.” Heavy metals ARE natural, because they come from the earth, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t toxic. Heavy metals such as lead, mercury, aluminum, cadmium and arsenic are naturally occurring substances, but not safe for humans at any level.
Let’s talk a little about the regulations in our beauty industry to keep our products safe. There are some, but not many regarding their safety. Not nearly enough.
The United States has banned or restricted the use of 30 harmful chemicals from personal care.
In contrast, the European Union has banned or restricted at least 1,400 harmful chemicals! That’s a significant amount more!
The last MAJOR federal law that congress passed regulating cosmetics was in 1938. That’s far too long ago! Learning that sure made me wonder what I was putting on my skin.
These reasons are why it’s important that we are educated on the products we’re using, what’s in them, and how they’re affecting us.
So what are you supposed to do?? I wanted to share a few practical tips to navigate this realm, and also a few of my favorite brands.
- Check the products that you’re currently using to find out if they’re safe! I use the Environmental Working Group app. You can look up all your products and ingredients in them and find out exactly how toxic they are.
- Slowly transition to safer options. Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to do it all at once. That way can be expensive but it doesn’t have to be! When you run out of one product, replace it with a new, safer option!
- Educate yourself. Do your research and take the time to learn about how the products you’re using in your home and on your body are really affecting you and your family.
MY FAVORITE SAFER PRODUCTS
It has taken me years to switch my products over, so don’t overwhelm yourself by doing it all at once. And I’d be lying if I said I’ve transitioned everything, I for sure have not. It’s a process! But I do finally have some favorites and I’m excited to share them with you! Just click on the picture to learn more about each one.
(*For any Primally Pure products, use the code “NOURISHEDLIFE” for 10% off.)