As I mentioned in my first post, I am currently enrolled in a 10-week course called the Balanced Bites Master Class to learn the basics of whole foods nutrition and optimal health.
It is still week one, but one of our first assignments was to establish what are goals are and what we want out of this course. I thought it would be beneficial to share those here as well.
What do I want to get out of this course?
- Consistency. I once attended a seminar where I learned there are different stages of transformation.
- Stage 1: Unconscious incompetence (you don’t know what you don’t know)
- Stage 2: Conscious incompetence (you are aware changes need to be made but you haven’t made them)
- Stage 3: Conscious competence (you are consciously making an effort to implement changes)
- Stage 4: Unconscious competence (you’ve reached a point where you no longer have to think very hard to implement the changes. They are now a part of your lifestyle)
Currently, I would put myself in Stage 2: Conscious incompetence. I know there are specific changes that I need to make in my food choices and lifestyle, but I haven’t gotten to a point where I’m applying change yet. I have made some subtle but important changes, such as eliminating oils such as vegetable, canola, etc, and switching them out for healthier options like coconut and olive oil. And along the way I’ve eliminated gluten and sugar for short periods of time. But now I’m ready to learn and climb my way to Stage 4 in the transformation. I’m ready for consistency.
- Gain a deeper more scientific understanding of the affects foods have on my body. This one is pretty straight forward. I don’t know a ton about cholesterol and fats and protein what’s actually happening on the inside. I was pre-nursing so I did learn some in this regard in school, but not to a level that I’m comfortable with.
- Easily explain and teach others why I’ve made these changes. A lot of times when we’re making changes in our lives, we’re afraid. Afraid of judgement, ridicule, criticism. So I want to have a level of understanding of nutrition where I can explain to family and friends in simplified terms why I’m making certain changes in my diet and lifestyle.
- Determine if this is the career path I want to take. Since last year, I’ve been toying (pretty seriously) with the idea of pursuing nutrition as a career. I have a school I want to attend and everything, I’m just scared to commit and change my mind. By the end of this course, I hope to have a clearer picture of what I want to do.
- Make new friends! This one is pretty straight forward as well. I am excited about the community that this class is providing and getting to know some of the amazing people involved!
- Feel good in my skin. My journey to health and wellness is going to be a never-ending one. I plan on always continuing to better myself and make positive changes in my life. But I know that by changing the way I eat, consuming real, whole, nutritious foods, I will feel amazing. Regardless of what I look like on the outside.
I look forward to having you all along the way to help me reach for and achieve these goals! What are some of your health and wellness goals? I’m going to kick sugar to the curb, come read about that here! Comment below!
6 thoughts on “Back to School”
Yes to all these goals! Can’t wait to hear what you learn from the class.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the support Whit!
I love this so much! After having a baby it was sooo hard to feel good in my own skin (much looser these days) but as I have started my health journey I cannot believe the confidence that has come back! I am so excited to read along your journey!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Real food can do amazing things! I’m glad you’re feeling back to yourself 🙂
You are on such a great path, Adrienne!!. If you need any ideas for resources on nutrition, I have some that I love and can share with you. Just send me a fb message and we can talk.
Thank you Renee! I will message you on FB 🙂